Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Country Farmhouse Buffet/Dresser

Country Farmhouse Dresser or Buffet

First I have to say THANK YOU to my wonderful mom who helped with this one!



I knew when I saw her at the local thrift store I had to have her. She was solid as a rock and had these awesome drawers.
So I lugged her home and she sat (over a month) until I had inspiration....
It came in the form of my mom!!
We were out shopping and she spotted this awesome "oops" paint in a reddish brown. 
She said "oh, this would look so good on that dresser"...
And so the transformation began.

Here are all the "after" pictures:




This was not the original look we had in mind...
But I think it turned out great anyways


We painted with the "oops" paint first, then layered it in a cream


Then I used a 60 grit sand paper to heavily distress it so the red and also the original stain would show through. Then finished it with a 220 grit.


The next step was a TOTAL mess! 
As I started to wipe a "victorian mahogany" stain it was drying faster than I could wipe it off!
What a disaster!


We were in a panic trying to wipe, more like scrub it off. 
And then all the sudden it started to get this really cool look you can see in the picture above.
I thought it looked like those old farmhouse table tops. And so we ran with that look.




The drawers had already been lined with these vintage newspaper classified ads. They were even already clear coated. So no additional work there!



All the original hardware stayed. They just need a coat of primer, a metallic black/brown spray paint and a clear gloss coat. 
And then she was finished!!!
____________________


Here are all the "Before" pictures:









Aren't those newspapers cool??!!

Tell me what you think of this project!!!



UPDATE:
SOLD

No comments:

Post a Comment